I apologize to my readers. The Keeper of the Little Red Diary has been taking a break while serving as a consultant for the Carnival season in Memphis, Tennessee. Below you will find photos of Memphis’ oldest Carnival crew, Memphi, who celebrated the season in style by raising their glasses to this year’s theme “Return to Versailles.” It was such a delight to come up with ideas for this fabulous group of revelers. Here are some of the highlights and ideas for you to use when planning your own Marie Antoinette party.
Favorite Marie Antoinette Party Ideas:
1. Serve the cake first, at a seated dinner.
2. Chocolate snails make escargot that everyone can enjoy and they look clever on the table.
3. Encourage guests to create their own versions of the Marie Antoinette “Pouf” hairstyle.
4. Use sachets of lavender as favors (available online in bulk)
8. Encourage guests to decorate shoes similar to those worn by Marie Antoinette.
9. Dont forget the cheese course.
10. Candlelight, silver, and ribbon.
11. Valets costumed in 18th century livery are great for parking cars and opening doors.
12. Pick up porcelain figurines of 18th century gentlemen and ladies in antique malls and shops. Those made in “Occupied Japan” can be purchased for just a few dollars, and mimic Meissen figurines of the 18th century period. No one will know the difference and they work well as place card holders.
13. Wine, Champagne, Crepes, Macaroons!